Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Small Town Mindset

It's weird meeting people as adults in a new place. After growing up in a small town, I'm used to knowing everyone from the time we started elementary school. I moved to a bigger city and things are different now. When I meet someone new, I don't already know about them through someone else. I'm looking at their life from the here and now. Since social media exists, it's possible to see somewhat of a timeline of their life. It's amazing how little we know people based off what we see online, and what we see from the time we met them.

I'm used to knowing people through their awkward phases, and about the girlfriend/boyfriends they dated throughout high school. I'm used to knowing how they treated those around them, and what kind of student they were. I'm used to knowing who there friends are, and what they spent their free-time doing. Growing up in a small town everyone knew about you before you ever met.

So now as I meet new people in this new city I can't help but wonder about all the things they went through as a child, and what they were like. But thinking about this I ask myself, "Does it truly matter?" Back home it mattered. I knew people on level much deeper, so it was more simple to decide if you liked someone or not. However, I think it also filtered my vision. Knowing what someone was like in the past, doesn't automatically mean you know who they are today. People grow up. Should I really dislike the boy that wore turtle-necks everyday in middle school, or the girl that was overly obnoxious in first hour. Do those things make a person who they are?
I don't think so. I don't think it matters. But growing up in a small town makes me think like so.

-Judgmental or nah

No comments:

Post a Comment